Renowned for its aero gravel bikes, big-tube section specialist 3T, has now added some rear-hub assistance to its Exploro RaceMax range. The new model is called the Exploro RaceMax Boost, which naturally adds a battery pack and rear-hub motor - in this case, Mahle’s X35.
Those with a keen eye will have noticed the tidy packaging and almost incognito battery. This integrated electric-drive configuration not only aids in the bike's aesthetical qualities but also removes some of the stigma associated with e-bikes.
The bike’s motor assistance is worth 250W, which will help power you up steep climbs as well as take the edge off tougher sections making it one of the best gravel bikes with electric assistance currently available.
- Best e-MTB motors: choosing the best e-MTB motor for your riding
- Best e-MTBs: electric mountain bikes that can get you up and down the mountain
How aero e-gravel makes sense
Part of 3T’s vision with its aero gravel bikes has been to reduce the drag-coefficient when riding out on wilderness plains, where the wind always manages to find you.
With its excellent aerodynamics, the Exploro RaceMax Boost possesses impressively low energy consumption, which should allow that 250W battery to last longer than expected.
3T is offering both drop- and flat-bar versions of the Exploro RaceMax boost, with the latter targeting those riders who wish to take some off-road detours on their active commute.
The Boost’s geometry and carbon fiber layup are similar to 3T's Explore RaceMax models, with the oversized tube shapes, pronounced chainstay drop and huge fork tire clearance.
Weight? That depends on budget. The premium Exploro RaceMax Boost prices at $9,999 and weighs only 9.8 kg (21.61 lb). This Ultralight version features SRAM’S Red eTap AXS wireless electronic groupset, 3T’s own Torno Team crankset and Superergo LTD carbon handlebar.
Rolling the Exploro RaceMax Boost along are Panaracer GravelKing TLC 700×38 mm tires.
Those 3T fans keen on the brand’s new e-gravel bike can also opt for Shimano GRX builds, priced from $6,999.
View the Exploro RaceMax Boost at 3T (opens in new tab)
Tech Specs: 3T Exploro Racemax Boost GRX
- Frame: Exploro RaceMax – BOOST
- Motor: Mahle ebikemotion X35 System
- Frame material: Carbon fiber
- Fork: Fango RaceMax
- Handlebar: Superergo Pro alloy
- Stem: 3T Apto Stealth
- Rear derailleur: Shimano GRX (RX-812)
- Shift/brake levers: Shimano GRX
- Brakes: Shimano GRX hydraulic, 160mm rotor (front/rear)
- Crankset: Shimano GRX, 40T
- Cassette: 11-speed Powerglide, 11-42T
- Wheelset: 3T Discus 45/40
- Tyres: Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M (35mm)
- Seatpost: New 3T Charlie Sqaero Team
- Saddle: Selle Italia Novus Evo Boost Superflow