Planet-X sells a range of helmets from £20 upwards so the Croix is a comparative luxury item at £25. Despite most other brand's entry-level helmets costing considerably more it manages to compare well with lids twice the price and above, too.
Styling of the Croix is certainly on point with 24 mid-size vents and a raised ‘spoiler’ built into the rear. The EPS foam liner is protected right to the edge with a hardshell ‘skin’ and it exceeds the EN1078 safety standard for bike helmets.
In use, there’s a decent amount of radiation ventilation from the numerous holes and slim pads don’t get in the way. There are no internal channels that limit airflow at higher speeds but that’s the case with most helmets under £50. While there are only two sizes and the cradle isn’t height-adjustable it’s a decent shape that fitted most testers without too much wobble. You get an occipital pad to stop the dial section digging in and there’s a pad on the chin strap too, which is removable if you want to look more ‘Pro’. The straps also have reflective bits which are a nice detail at any price. The adjustable sliders are a bit flimsy and we’ve already snapped the closing cam off one but it still works, it just doesn’t lock. There are 13 different matt or gloss colors available to make it easy to accessorize. Molding is surprisingly clean too with only the rear strap anchor protruding slightly more than you’d see on a top-quality lid.
If you fancy treating yourself to an upgrade, Planet X has the Carnac Podium SL comes in three sizes, with internal channels and anti-bacterial pads for just £29.99.
- Leatt DBX 1.0 AM and 3.0 AM helmet review (opens in new tab)
- Sweet Protection Trailblazer helmet review (opens in new tab)
Detailing is basic up close and the side buckles are a bit fragile but Carnac’s Croix is light, comfortable, reasonably well ventilated and looks decent in a wide range of colors for an absolute bargain price.
- Best mountain bike sunglasses (opens in new tab)
- Best mountain bike goggles (opens in new tab)
Tech Specs: Carnac Croix helmet
- Sizes: Small / Medium (54-58cm), Large / X Large (58-61cm)
- Rotational protection: No
- Vents: 24
- Colors: Gloss black, blue, orange, white, red, fluoro yellow and neon green. Matt black, blue, orange, white, red, fluoro yellow
- Weight: 241g (S/M)
- Price: £24.99
- Cheap MTB helmets: (opens in new tab) Today's best deals on mountain bike helmets